Software Developer at Jolly Learning
£20,000 - £30,000
Chigwell, Essex (Central line from London to Debden or Chigwell)
Posted on: Tuesday 20 February, 2018
*** NO AGENCIES THANK YOU ***
Jolly Learning Software Developer Job Description
We are looking for a multi-skilled Software Developer to join our in-house digital development team.
The primary job function is to help us continue to innovate and develop educational software for desktop, mobile and web, whether for home use or for use in a school environment and which has a positive impact on people’s lives all around the world. The ideal candidate will have one of the following:
•a degree in Computer Science
•a degree in a related subject
•a degree in another subject and suitable professional experience
Work experience of at least 1 year that is relevant to the role is highly desirable.
As a valued member of the team, you will be motivated to take on a project and see it through to completion. Due to the nature of our products it is essential that you are fluent in English and have good grammar, spelling and punctuation skills. This would be a varied role and would suit someone who is confident to show initiative and share ideas and who enjoys keeping up to date with technology trends.
• Develop cross-platform desktop applications (Mac and PC), which could include for use on interactive whiteboards in a school classroom
• Develop cross-platform mobile applications
• Develop web applications or web sites
• Maintain and update existing software
• Assist the digital department on a daily basis and provide technical support to customers where necessary
You may be asked to attend conferences or events on occasion. This position reports to the Digital Manager.
Jolly Learning is an educational publishing company and last year celebrated its 30th year in business. Our flagship Jolly Phonics programme has been hugely instrumental in helping children learn to read and write in English all over the world. Our grammar programme follows on from Jolly Phonics and covers all the primary school years. We have an extensive range of products for both school and home use. We also publish the Jolly Music programme.
We are a small company with a global reach and you can expect a friendly environment in which everyone works together for best results.
• Desktop application development for Mac OS and Windows
• Mobile application development (iOS, Android, Corona or web technologies including Node.js, Angular.js, Ionic)
• PHP and MySQL
• Git for code source control (preferably GitHub)
• Good understanding of OOP and programming concepts
• Mac and PC literate
• A minimum of 1 year’s experience
• Adobe Flash and Actionscript 3
• Adobe AIR application development for Mac and PC
• Competence in a programming language such as Java or C#
• Knowledge of cross-platform development
• Knowledge of creating Mac and Windows Installers
• Android Studio
• Amazon AWS
• Understanding of HCI
• Understanding of SCRUM
• Understanding of image optimization techniques
• Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign experience
• Audio and video editing experience
• Animation experience
We would also expect candidates to have gained an understanding of synthetic phonics and our product range through their own research prior to interview. Useful information can be found on our website.
This is a full-time permanent position based at our office in Chigwell, Essex (40 mins from London on the Central line). A competitive salary will be offered to the right candidate, depending on experience. To apply, please email your CV and a covering letter to Alexander Bennett at the email address that follows. Please state in your application if your skills and experience are weighted more towards mobile, desktop or web application development.