Freelance Publishing Assistant
Purpose of role:
To assist the Director by providing administrative and editorial support to ensure the smooth running of publishing operations and author satisfaction.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities:
1. To provide general administrative support, including dealing with contracts and correspondence, processing authors’ orders for books, and the dispatch of deposit copies to copyright libraries.
2. To liaise with authors from delivery through to publication and after to resolve queries and keep them informed.
3. To liaise closely with the out-of-house project manager and authors to ensure that all books are produced to appropriate quality, on schedule and within budget, making Director aware of any potential problems.
4. To manage the upload of production files and metadata to printers and our digital asset distribution system.
5. To update the customer relationship management (CRM) system and follow up activities, both personally and assisting the Director to do so.
6. To create and keep up to date full and accurate bibliographic records for all titles on Bibliocloud and ensure data is sent to bibliographic agencies in a timely fashion.
7. To assist with implementing marketing strategies, for example sending and tracking review copies, preparing AIs and maintaining websites.
8. To raise the profile of Practical Inspiration Publishing (PIP), including the use of social media, newsletters and updating websites.
The successful candidate will:
1. Have good organisational and administrative skills.
2. Be flexible, adaptable and able to cope with working under pressure.
3. Be able to work independently and remotely.
4. Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills, including impeccable written English.
5. Pay attention to detail.
6. Be confident in use of MS Office, particularly Excel, and have experience of using CRM and other cloud-based systems.
7. Experience of working in a publishing environment is highly desirable.
Hours: Part time, flexible: around 16 hours per week initially
Location: Work from home using own equipment (NB this is a freelance role, but a full employment contract could be considered).
Rate: £15 per hour